Summer is the time when we all try to be a bit more health conscious on so many levels. With the much warmer sun rays, we start using sun protection creams and become more thoughtful on the subject of food that we consume-after all, we are all a little vain for all the right reasons and simply want to look good in the swimming suit. We use light cosmetic formulations and less make-up, especially as our skin develops a healthy glow and stops looking wintry white.
Recently I received an e-mail from my wonderful friend Tawna, who created and runs one of the most delicious smelling and health conscious baby skincare brands Tawna Hill Baby (www.tawnahillbaby.com ), telling me about an article that she read with many surprising facts about cucumbers, and I thought that I just need to spread the word on its many wonderful benefits that it can give you and even your household:
1. Just one cucumber contains most of our daily vitamin quota, including Vitamins B1, B2, B3, B6, Folic Acid, Vitamin C, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium and Zinc.
2. If you are feeling tired in the afternoon, put down the caffeinated soda and pick up a cucumber, which is not only a good source of B vitamins, but also carbohydrates that can provide that quick pick-me-up, that will last for hours without giving you the jitters.
3. Tired of your bathroom mirror fogging up after a shower? Try rubbing a cucumber slice along the mirror, it will eliminate the fog and provide a soothing, spa-like fragrance.
4. Are slugs ruining your planting beds? Place a few slices in a small pie tin and your garden will be free of pests all season long. The chemicals in the cucumber react with the aluminium to give off a scent (undetectable to humans) that drives garden pests crazy and makes them flee the area.
5. Looking for a fast and easy way to remove cellulite,before going out or to the pool? Try rubbing a slice (or two) of cucumber along your problem area for a few minutes. The photochemicals in the cucumber cause the collagen in your skin to tighten, firming up the outer layer and reducing the visibility of cellulite. Works great on wrinkles too!!!
6. Want to avoid a hangover or a terrible headache? Eat a few cucumber slices before going to bed and wake up refreshed and headache free. Cucumbers contain enough sugar, B vitamins and electrolytes to replenish essential nutrients the body looses, keeping everything in equilibrium !!
7. Looking to fight off that afternoon or evening snacking binge? Cucumbers have been used for centuries by European traders and explorers for quick meals to thwart off starvation.
8. Have an important meeting or job interview and you realize that you don’t have enough time to polish your shoes? Rub a freshly cut cucumber over the shoe- its chemicals will provide a quick and durable shine that not only looks great, but also acts as water repellent.
9. Need to fix a squeaky hinge? Take a cucumber slice and rub it along the problematic part, and voila, the squeak is gone!
10. Stressed out and don’t have time for massage, facial or visit to the spa? Cut up an entire cucumber and place it in a boiling pot of water-the chemicals and nutrients from the cucumber will react with the boiling water and be released in the steam, creating a soothing, relaxing aroma that has been shown to reduce stress in new mothers and college students during final exams.
11. Just finished a business lunch and realize you don’t have gum or mints? Take a slice of cucumber and press it to the roof of your mouth with your tongue for 30 seconds to eliminate bad breath-the photochemicals will kill the bacteria responsible for causing bad breath in its tracks.
12. Looking for a ‘green’ way to clean your faucets, sinks or stainless steel? Take a slice of cucumber and rub it on the surface you want to clean- not only will it remove years of tarnish and bring back the shine, but is won’t leave streaks and won’t harm you fingers or fingernails while you clean.
13. Using a pen and made a mistake? Take the outside of the cucumber and slowly use it to erase the pen writing, also works great on crayons and markers that the kids have used to decorate the walls!!